Sunday, October 20, 2013

Disney Star to Pop Star

          I recently came across Miley Cyrus' backyard sessions which caught my attention. She sings "Lilac Wine", "Look What They've Done to My Song" and "Jolene"; all of which are incredible. When I was listening to each of these, they made the disney star grow up in my mind. She becomes much more mature and appealing for not only middle schoolers. Miley recorded all of these sessions back before she cut her hair off and before she seemed to really change. It confuses me as to why she would take this other route of songs about drugs and sex rather than continuing with work similar to the backyards sessions. It seems clear that she has a much broader audience with this then her new hair and album "Bangerz." 
         While reading NY times article, "Get Back, and Just Let Miley Cyrus Grow Up", the writer takes a different stance on Miley. He calls her choices creative, her results great, and her singing striking. In particular, he talks about the transition that she is making from disney star to pop star. Miley disagrees with this as a transition though, she says “This is all thought out in my mind. It’s not a transition. I’m the same human, I’ve got the same heart I did five years ago.” This seems pretty hard to believe from the stark contrast of her now, and her 5 years ago. Although all of it is a part of Miley growing up, she seems to be becoming more immature then she was before. The songs about drugs and sex are reaching a different audience; not the more grown up one she seems to be going for. 
         While she isn't growing up the way that I would have expected, she is leaving her mark and creating her own character. She is surprising everyone and pushing limits in the pop world. In some cases she may have even broke those limits. She is threatening the image of the young female performer while she's making headlines. Miley is grabbing attention world wide and while maybe some of this is negative attention, its more then she would have got staying in line. After reading how she has this all planned out, and it is all strategic, I started really wondering what she's thinking. What's her goal with all of this? Is singing songs about drugs and sex what she wants to be singing or is she doing it for a certain audience? If she really does have the same heart as she did five years ago, then why is she acting so differently?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/arts/music/get-back-and-just-let-miley-cyrus-grow-up.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Isabel! I clicked on this because I have often talked about the issue of Miley's new look with my friends and even my parents. No one can seem to understand what she is thinking while doing all of this risky stuff, including myself. I think it all comes down to publicity. People can say that she has changed and become her own person but I don't think that people would say that about any other 21- year-old. People her age don't know who they are yet, they have only been an adult for 3 years and most haven't even lived alone out of college yet. That is why I classify this behavior as immature and obnoxious rather than "growing into herself" and whatever other excuse people are using to justify her disturbing display.